Have you noticed a sudden spike in your water bill for no logical reason? The average American uses 80-100 gallons of water a day. If your water consumption seems significantly higher, there are two potential reasons: Your water consumption is wasteful and excessive or there is a leak in your house. Let’s assume that the first is not the case.For unknown leaks, you may need to call Miami beach plumbing services.
Finding the leak
Sometimes leaks are not as obvious as leaking faucets. Here’s a simple test that can help you find out if there is a leak:
- Turn off all the faucets in your home.
- Check your water meter. If the red dial is moving, it means there is a leak somewhere.
- Turn off the water to all toilets one by one, checking the meter each time. The moment the red dial stops moving, you have found your leak.
- If the dial moves even after turning off all toilets, the leak is somewhere else. Check each faucet and fitting again.
- Take a reading right before you go to sleep, when water usage is over for the day.
- Check the reading next morning. If you find a significant difference, there is a leak somewhere in your home. Since it is not immediately visible to you, call Miami beach plumbing services to find the leak and fix it.
Reducing water consumption
Apart from fixing the leaks in the house, you also need reduce your overall water consumption. Think of reducing, reusing and recycling water wherever you can. Not only can it help to reduce your water bills, it is also environmentally responsible. Do ensure that devices like water heater, dish washer and washing machine are also serviced regularly for optimum performance. You can ask your Miami beach pluming services to check devices for leaks.